The following blog post, unless otherwise noted, was written by a member of Gamasutras community.
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of the writer and not Gamasutra or its parent company.
Greetings! Our 3rd IGDA Game Design SIG (GDSIG) Mentor AMA (Ask Me Anything) in conjunction with the National STEM Video Game Challenge focused on game writing and featured questions from mentors and students around the United States, such as:
- What is your biggest challenge in developing a video game, both in storyline and in general?
- What are some key differences between a good and a bad narrative?
- Where do you see virtual reality and augmented reality going, and how do you think this technology will change games and storytelling?
- What are some ways a designer can tell a story in a game that gives the player opportunities to make real choices that genuinely affect the outcome of the game?
- What would you say is the #1 pitfall in the design of serious games?
A full transcript of the questions, transcribed by volunteer Jam Blute, is available on the IGDA Game Design SIG Facebook group Files section, as well as sample game design documents. The GDSIG group is a closed Facebook group, but free and open to everyone, provided you follow the guidelines. The IGDA is an international, non-profit organization whose mission is to advance the careers and improve the lives of game developers.
The National STEM Video Game Challenge is a multi-year competition whose goal is to motivate interest in STEM learning among America’s youth by tapping into students’ natural passion for playing and making video games.
With Felix Wilhelmy as moderator, the guest panelists for the 3rd GDSIG Mentor AMA were Sheri Graner Ray, Bobby Stein, and Sande Chen.
Sheri Graner Ray is an award-winning game designer and CEO of ZombieCat Studios
and worked for such companies as Schell Games, Origin, Sony Entertainment, and the Cartoon Network.
Bobby Stein is the Associate Narrative Director and Narrative Design Lead at ArenaNet
, the maker of Guild Wars.
Sande Chen is a writer and game designer best known for her work on titles such as The Witcher
and Wizard 101
We are continually striving to improve the Mentor AMAs. Let us know if you have any feedback or if you'd like to participate as a volunteer or mentor! Follow GDSIG on Twitter @IGDAGDSIG or on YouTube
. We will be moving to video soon.
Listen to the full AMA panel below or on Soundcloud