If you were crossing your fingers today hoping that the Entertainment Software Association would announce a new venue for its annual E3 extravaganza, prepare to be disappointed.
The ESA today confirmed that it has locked down an agreement with Los Angeles to hold E3 at the L.A. Convention Center for the next three years, through 2015, continuing its 16-year partnership with the city. E3 2013 is slated for June 11-13 next year.
It's a major deal for L.A. to ensure E3 will be returning for the next three years, as the conference brings in tens of thousands video of game industry and media into the city annually. And they spend lots of money when they're in town -- $40 million in revenue just this year.
The location of the next E3 had been up in the air, as the ESA and L.A. were in negotiations
about the venue. The L.A. Convention Center is due for a major remodel, as the city plans to make room downtown for the new Farmers Field stadium. The ESA, the trade group that represents the game industry, was concerned that the construction would interfere with its show.
ESA spokesperson Dan Hewitt told Gamasutra the convention center's West Hall will be torn down after the 2013 show, and a new hall would take its place by 2014, in time (if all goes well) for that year's show. The venue will have the same amount of, or possibly more, space.
L.A. mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he joined in on the negotiations personally. "My office was committed to doing whatever it took to keep the largest annual conference that the City hosts here for another three years," he said in a statement.
Chris Morris contributed to this report.