In anticipation of next week's Game Developers Conference, show organizers and independent artist group iam8bit have revealed a number of the featured artists drawing at this year's interactive art exhibit, the "Super Magnetic Game-O-Matic."
As previously announced, this event, taking place in the 2nd floor of Moscone West, features giant oversized poetry magnets, which GDC attendees can rearrange to create their own game ideas.
Throughout the show, notable industry artists will sketch their own interpretations of the most interesting concepts. The featured artists at this creatively driven event each offer their own unique artistic specialties, ensuring that the event will remain spontaneous, unpredictable, and fun.
Here are a few of the notable artists to be featured at the event during the week (with a number of additional guests to be announced on site):
- Ben Thompson is an artist at Blizzard Entertainment, and has worked particularly on the studio's MMO juggernaut World of WarCraft. His lively, detailed style should make for some interesting contributions to the exhibit.
- Levi Ryken is currently an artist at Double Fine Productions, and his creative work spans a number of the acclaimed San Francisco studio's most recent titles, including Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, and Happy Action Theater.
- Greg Broadmore is a conceptual artist at the renowned Weta Workshop in New Zealand, and was the lead concept artist for acclaimed sci-fi movie District 9. He also created the Dr. Grordbort's universe (as featured in Team Fortress 2, and spawned into acclaimed physical raygun props.)
- Derek Brand is an illustrator and concept artist who also hails from Double Fine Productions (Brutal Legend, Stacking, Costume Quest), and he and Ryken will demonstrate the varied artistic influences that stem from the esteemed Tim Schafer-led studio.
- Erich Meyr comes from Insomniac Games, and he plans to showcase his whimsical illustration style at the "Super Magnetic Game-O-Matic." Meyr's game credits include games in both the Resistance franchise and the Ratchet & Clank series.
- Seth Forester is a UI artist at Backbone Entertainment (Death Jr.) whose game credits include titles such as the downloadable Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, and will also be on hand to show off his skills.
These artists will be sketching designs throughout the show, and artists attending GDC will also have the opportunity to sketch alongside the professionals thanks to extra drawing stations, making the event a truly collaborative effort for the GDC community.
Last year, GDC and iam8bit partnered to produce the fascinating "Painting With Pixels" exhibit, in which GDC attendees worked together to produce a giant mural of paper "pixels." The "Super Magnetic Game-O-Matic" promises to capture a similar spirit.
For more information on the "Super Magnetic Game-O-Matic," please check out the event's official page on the GDC 2012 website.
To check out even more updates for GDC 2012, please subscribe to the GDC news page via Twitter, Facebook, or RSS. GDC 2012 will take place March 5 through March 9 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and is owned and operated by Gamasutra parent company UBM TechWeb.