Having met with some rather harsh comments on my own game, I decided to take a look around Steam Greenlight to see what kinds of comments other games were getting; wondering if my game had drawn a particular type of hatred somehow. Nope. Not just me. I was upset by what I found.
I decided to compile some of the worst into one place, if nothing else but for my own validation. As you read these comments, try to picture them being aimed at a real person and their work.
Now give the author of these little gems the opportunity to hit the big 'thumbs down' button to get the added satisfaction of voting the game down. Then, tell me how this is 'progress' in terms of how we view the value of games and how they are published. It's the gamification of trolling. Or the trollification of gaming, as my good friend Sergey pointed out on Twitter.
- 0% original and you know it.
- This company is so funny. Every single game they posted looks like complete shit.
- Really shitty graphics for a 2012 game. It looks like an original Xbox game or worse...
- There's a point where something has gone so horribly awry with a game that constructive criticism is of no use, and the only recourse is to burn the thing down, disassemble the foundation, and start again at the drawing board. This game has pretty clearly reached that point. This trite dialogue. This horrendous voice acting. This terrible artwork reminiscent of those "How to Draw Anime" tutorial books. Even if I liked visual novels, I still doubt I'd have anything nice to say.
- OH MY GOD WHO REALLY THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD GAME. I WISH I NEVER WATCHED THE VIDEO THAT WAS SO BAD THIS GAME LOOKS SO BAD. NOT JUST NO BUT HELL NO
- how can somebodey say awesome for this? go back to newgrounds and dont come back
- There's a difference between amateur games (in this case ULTRA amateur) and indie games...
- meh, feels like something I'd be forced into via bundle, downvoting for a better future.
- It's ugly and non-fun for my taste. And trailer's soundtrack is annoying.
- Generic, ugly, and it looks slow as molasses.
- My cat came up with better art when it walked across my keyboard when I left Windows Paint up by accident.
- 300 games are waiting for my vote. 90% are just so bad and they are waisting my time. This is one of them.
- graphics look like MS paint.. no sorry
- I hate furries and this game looks like ass, so a hard downvote from me.
- Dull and uninteresting textures, generic electronic music taken from 3rd parties I assume without permission, and a "Furries fighting for thur freedumb aginst the hoomans!" plot. I don't think I have ever downvoted something so quickly before.
- I've lost my will to live after seeing this.
- Just when you thought simulation games couldn't get any more boring. This happened.
- Bullshit VN pandering to lonely weaboo shitnerds. No thanks.
- he looks like my uncle that molested me =(
- Every time I think I've found the worst Greenlight has to offer, the next page has something even more dire.
- Get your iOSWare out of Steam you fuck.
- Quite possibly the worst submission yet. Do us all a favor and just take it down.
- what the hell is this crap.
- pretentious name, no footage, shit graphics
- Old gameplay with just another design.. downvote
- Another bad game that took no imagination to make and takes no skill to play.I would not recommend this for steam.
- >game in development for 6 months - NIGGA MOST INDY GAMES ARE IN DEVELOPMENT FOR YEARS.
- Game looks like it was made in a week, boring textures, not all that innovative either. Should have put your game on greenlight at a later date. Downvoted.
- wow this looks like shit.
- This game makes the Pope sad. : (
- Looks like a lame Portal clone.
- Thumbs down for ripping off eve online
- I would love this if they made it F2P! But it´s not.... SO C´YA!
- Looks like someone added a SuperFX chip... oh wait this isn't the 90s
- Oh god. Please fuck off with this trash... this is steam, NOT FUCKING FACEBOOK.
- You're a bloody idiot if you think this will actually become even remotely popular.
- that game sucks like hell
- What the HELL it is???????????
- NO! just no. this game sucks and its overpriced
- A 3079 based video game with 1960 graphix? wft
- why are you making this fucking shit?
- So, you're ripping off other games, openly admitting you do and 62 people favorited this game?
- Looks unoriginal and bland.
- I hate that title image...
- Didn't games like this used to be FREE?
- This game is bad and you should feel bad.
- Just reading the title gave me cancer in my boredom gland.
- This looks like a game I made when I was ten.
- What...? Get this off of here.
- No. This is incredibly, incredibly redundant. We have a million games like this. This is undergraduate level game-development.
- Seriously Steam, you have to put something in greenlight so we can block people who make shit like this
- Keep the trash games away form steam!
- Damn, look at those textures! Thumbs up! No. Down. Always down.
- Hell no. Make better graphics and make it moar original...
- No online = no good. With this day and age, there isnt any excuess why you dont include it in your game. Seems like your just out for money. People will buy this game, complain there isnt any online, then you guys are like "ITS IN THE SEQUAL". Naww Im good, downvote from me.
- Steam doesn't need kongregate games, sorry. Also no matter how many times you delete comments it isn't going to change anything.
- "ANOTHER FUCKING 2D GAME?"
There is certainly a leaning toward attacking games that don't have the best graphics (probably easier targets) and anything that looks as though it may have been or could be an iOS game is a particularly strong target and the same with Flash games. The trolls are extremely Flashist. If you don't have multi-player in a racing game or a shooter, you're most likely in for a rough time too.
A lot of commenters complain about games being too expensive- the games on here don't list pricing and it is prior to pricing being agreed or advertised. Some commenters down vote purely because games aren't in the free to play section.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of stats Valve end up releasing to the public about the trending of particular game types etc., but for now all I can say is .. to avoid the trollification, you need to make AAA quality awesome, innovative games with original storylines, 12 hours of gameplay, great voice acting and never-seen before gameplay. But stay indie as you do it, of course.
I love games and I love making games. I love people who make games! To see this Greenlight mess really saddens me. All we want to do is have our games played and hopefully make enough money to make more games because we love what we do - why do people have to be so hateful about it? Really sad.
Someone asked me why I care about comments like this. I say that if someone came into your place of work and started hurling abuse at you and your colleagues, you’d want to say something about it too. I don’t think for a second that we should be as weak as to just say ‘This is the internet’ and let this happen. Especially in an environment like Steam, where there should be more moderation to kick these users and ban them from writing anything more offensive.
Another comment I've heard is 'some of the games on there deserve it'. Really? Comments like 'Fuck you.', 'Get your iOSWare out of Steam you fuck.', 'he looks like my uncle that molested me' and 'Just reading the title gave me cancer in my boredom gland.'? Does anyone deserve that? Should we just allow abusive comments because the game doesn't meet our own idea of quality?
I think that there needs to be a method in place to report these users and get them banned for life, with their votes discounted from the system. Will anyone do anything about it? I'm a realist- I doubt it. But if we don't push for more moderation on sites like this, there's never any consequence for trolling.
On Steam Greenlight I believe that the 'vote down' button actually makes being an ass a rewarding and fun experience - which is why I call it the 'gamification of trolling'.